VEGAN BANANA CREAM PIE
1 heaping cup walnuts
1 heaping cup pitted dates (soaked for 10 minutes in warm water and drained)
1.25 cups cashews soaked for at least 4 hours or overnight, then drained
3.5 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
1 medium just ripe banana
1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp sea salt
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Place soaked dates in the food processor and process until small bits remain and/or it forms into a ball. Remove and set aside.
2. Process walnuts until a meal consistency is achieved. Add back in dates and a pinch of salt and mix to combine. When squeezed between two fingers, the crust should stick together and feel moldable. If too dry, add another date or two. If too wet, add a little almond or walnut meal.
3. Press into a springform pan, or an 8×8 baking dish or round cake pan lined with plastic wrap or parchment. Press until flat, going up the sides about 1/2 inch. Place in freezer to set.
4. Add all filling ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If it’s having trouble blending, add a little more agave or water to encourage it along. It should be silky smooth when completely combined.
5. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Then pour into crust and smooth with a spoon. Tap to release any air bubbles, then cover and freeze until set - about 4-6 hours.
6. To serve, let thaw for 5 minutes. Top slices with coconut whipped cream, crushed peanuts and caramel sauce (optional). Should keep in the freezer, covered, for at least 1 week.
The beautiful ‘Quiet’ by Tom Fonder.
For my scientist boyfriend even though we both hate this unimaginative, consumerist-orientated and entirely arbitrary, manipulative and shallow interpretation of romance day! :-)
Legendary sculptor Antony Gormley riffs on space and the human form. His works explore the interior space we feel within our own bodies - and the exterior space we feel around us, knowing that we are just dots in space and time.
A sneaky mid-week night away at the 309-year old Drovers Inn in Inverarnan? Don’t mind if we do! :-)
Please stop using diseases as exaggerations. OCD is more than keeping a clean house. Depression is more than feeling unhappy. Anorexia is more than being thin. Anxiety is more than just worrying. These diseases can destroy lives. Be grateful yours is not one of them.